Sunday, October 9, 2011

Theodore Boone: The Abduction by John Grisham

Theodore Boone doesn't really feel like he fits in. His intense interest in the law sets him apart from other kids his age. But he has a great friendship with April, another girl in his class. Then one night April goes missing, and Theodore is the last person who talked to her. He's desperate to find her, but his parents believe it's a job best left to the police. But Theodore is sure that he's the right man for the job. Can he find April before it's too late?

I have to confess that I didn't go into this book with an open mind. I wasn't too impressed with the first Theodore Boone book, so I didn't expect much from this one. And there were definitely parts where I wasn't sure John Grisham had ever talked to a tween/teen boy, let alone been one. References to technology like Facebook seemed forced and artificial. (At one point, Theodore says that April is different than other kids in the class because she isn't interested in "The Internet." But then he says that she's on Facebook. So she has and uses the internet. Does she not belong to the "I Heart the Internet" club? Do people who've been born since the widespread adoption of the internet even really think about it? It's like saying I'm interested in microwaves because I own one.) The plot of the book reminded me of a balloon with a pin in it; it started out strong but then just deflated over time. If there is a Theodore Boone 3, I'll probably read it but I have very, very low expectations for it.

For more specific examples of this book, check out Bookshelves of Doom.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham
The Rainmaker by John Grisham
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. Sobol

No comments:

Post a Comment