Thursday, June 9, 2011

He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott

Summertime - and the living is easy? Not for these poor little rich kids. Ally is still trying to get over the humiliation she faced at a former friend's birthday party. Most of the town still hates her family. And now she has to deal with the fact that her father - the one who lost everyone's money - is on her doorstep, while her mom is dating a wealthy doctor. Jake still isn't over Ally, but she wants nothing to do with him. Even worse, his mom has put her foot down, and now he won't be summering with the rest of his friends at the beachy summer hotspot where they all vacation - he's stuck serving coffee and going to summer school. With so may people falling out and falling apart, is there any chance that these two could make up - and make out?

I was really confused at the beginning of this book, and it didn't help that I didn't know it was a sequel to She's So Dead to Us. (I'd downloaded the book from the Simon and Schuster Galley Grab based on the title alone). The characters kept referencing things that I had no idea about, and I didn't now who was the one keeping Harriet-the-Spy-meets-Gossip-Girl type notes (or if she was even in the story). If I hadn't have been reading this as part of the 48 Hour Book Challenge, I probably would have stopped reading. But then, a funny thing happend: I couldn't put it down. I found myself pushing through to the end, trying to figure out if these kids could cut through the drama and be honest with each other. Yes, Ally does make a lot of her own drama, but she's also really hurting. And Jake makes some bad moves, but there's genuine growth there. As it built to the cliffhanger ending, I was definitely hooked - and can't wait to see what happens next. Well played, Kieran Scott. Well played. Overall, it was a fun, beachy read (but you might want to pick up She's So Dead to Us first).


Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
She's So Dead to Us by Kieran Scott
Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar
Maine Squeeze by Catherine Clark
The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Geek Magnet by Kieran Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment