Monday, June 20, 2011

Heist Society by Ally Carter

Kat has always been something of a prodigy. At three, she helped her parents case the Louvre. At seven, she was stealing crown jewels. And at 15, she's just staged her biggest con yet: conning her way into a private boarding school. Kat's turned her back on the con life and her family; she wants to be a normal girl. But when an old friend reappears with news that her father's been fingered for a recent heist - a move that could cost him his life. Determined to save her father and prove his innocence, Kat's reluctantly drawn back into the life that she ran away from - and the people she left behind.

This is a very fun book. Not being familiar with Ally Carter's other books, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had heard so many positive things about this book that I was curious to read it myself. It's not a long book, but it's packed with quality stuff. There are twists and turns, action-packed sequences and quiet moments, interesting characters and a satisfying storyline. Kat's on a deadline, and the days are counted down in the book, which keeps the tension going. The international location hopping is somewhat reminiscent of the Carmen Sandiego computer I used to play, which added to my enjoyment of the story. I remember when news of the movie adaption first came out, people who had read the book were upset at the idea that the characters were going to be aged from teenagers to people in their early twenties. After reading the book, I agree - there's something about the fact that they are kids that makes the story. Still, it will be interesting to see what they do with the movie version.

Find it at IndieBound.

Check out Ally Carter's website.

Read it with:
Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett
Vidalia in Paris by Sasha Watson
The Mona Lisa Caper by Rick Jacobson

No comments:

Post a Comment