Sunday, June 5, 2011

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Every day, London Lane's memory resets. She has no idea what happened yesterday, or the day before that, or the day before that. She writes herself notes to keep her functioning from one day to the next. She does have memories, though - from the future. She knows what's going to happen before it happens. But is her future-memory perfect? Why does she have no future-memory of her boyfriend? Is she blocking him on purpose - and if so, why?

I was completely hooked by this book. I had one of those reading experiences where I looked up and realized I'd been reading 200 pages without knowing it. The story flows so nicely and has a great momentum and pacing. I was afraid that it was going to be too high-concept for me, that I would get lost in the details of the story, but it was very easy to follow (without being boring). It was kind of like Memento, but Memento meets Time-Traveler's Wife, because it had that element of 'past and present' in it. Can you change the future? How do you talk with someone when you know what happens to them in the future? Can you love someone you have no memory of? All of the questions I had while reading it (like, how does she know how to walk or talk?) were either addressed or I could figure out an explanation from what was in the book. I liked seeing the details of how London coped with her semi-amnesia, as well as the chapters that were written where London didn't write herself notes. This is Cat Patrick's first novel, and I can't wait to read her next one (scheduled to come out next year.)

Find it at Amazon.

Read it with:
Num8ers by Rachel Ward
Matched by Ally Condie
The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment