Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Stitching Together by Ed Choy Moorman

When I ordered Stitching Together, I only really knew that there was a version of Kermit the Frog on the cover; I didn't know what I'd be getting on the inside. There's "Scenes from the Life and Death of Jim Henson," a glimpse at a genius visonary who died too soon. There's "The Life of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew," an early comic done around Muppet Labs' resident scientist. There's a visit to Jim Henson's childhood home (as seen from the outside). And there's an excerpt from another comic where a childhood crush on Kermit is confessed.

This is an absolutely lovely collection. The pieces are funny and sad and touching and sweet. The image of Jim Henson's funeral in "Scenes from the Life and Death of Jim Henson" had me tearing up. While the Dr. Bunsen Honeydew piece gets a lot of downplaying, I loved the visuals of Dr. Honeydew as a baby and the Honeydew family as well as the mini-origin story of how Dr. Honeydew and Beaker met (although for some reason the hatching in the panels and the bunk bed made me think that they met in prison - I imagine that that would be quite a different story). If you get a chance, definitely give this collection a read.

I purchased a copy of Stitching Together at Buy Olympia.

See more at Ed Choy Moorman's website.

Buy Stitching Together at his website (under the Shop tab).

Read it with:
Ghost Comics: A Benefit Anthology for RS Eden edited by Ed Choy Moorman
Tales of a Sixth Grade Muppet by Kirk Scroggs
Muppet Sherlock Holmes by Patrick Storck
The Muppet Show Comic Book: Meet the Muppets by Roger Langridge
Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street by Michael Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment