Friday, November 18, 2011

Happy Pig Day! by Mo Willems

Piggie is really excited - it's Pig Day! The happiest day of the year! But Gerald feels a bit left out. Pig day is for pigs, and he's an elephant. He doesn't want to make Piggie unhappy on her special day, but is there a way that they can all celebrate together?

There's something about Elephant and Piggie that just makes me smile. I love these characters and their friendship. I even have an Elephant and Piggie poster in my home. Although of course I hate seeing anything that makes Gerald anxious (though that could be almost anything), there's a great message in here that friends don't have to be identical to each other. Many children may celebrate different holidays than each other or have cultural differences, but that doesn't mean that they can't be friends and celebrate each other. This wasn't quite up there for me with my favourite Elephant and Piggie boks (I think I was spoiled by We Are in a Book), but it is another solid entry into the Elephant and Piggie canon. And for extra fun, check out this interview with Mo Willems from EW.com. (I had never put together Elephant Gerald).

Find it at IndieBound.

Don't miss visiting Mo Willems' website. (I particularly love the fan mail.)

Read it with:
We Are in a Book by Mo Willems
I Broke My Trunk by Mo Willems
Pigs Make Me Sneeze by Mo Willems

No comments:

Post a Comment