Sunday, November 6, 2011

Jellaby by Kean Soo

Portia's been having a hard time lately. She doesn't really get along with anyone in class. Her teacher wants her to participate more. Her mom works long hours and she spends lots of time alone. Then she meets a mysterious creature in the woods one night. She's never seen anything like him before. He's not scary, though; he seems sad, lost, and lonely. Can these two find a way to help each other?

Jellaby has been on my 'to read' list for awhile, and I found it at the library one day so I decided to pick it up. I'm glad that I did. In addition to being drawn into the story, I responded very well to the art style. Most of the drawing are done in black, white, and purple; only Portia's classmate Jason's orange shirt provides an occasional burst of colour. I loved seeing Toronto emerge as a location; I don't live there any more, but I still get excited when I see it as itself in books. I believe Jellaby's gone out of print, so check libraries or used book stores for a copy. The story continues in volume two, Jellaby: Monster in the City.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Jellaby: Monster in the City by Kean Soo
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Prime Baby by Gene Luen Yang
Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi
The Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson

No comments:

Post a Comment