Monday, November 21, 2011

Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice? by Paula Danziger

Lauren has realized that there aren't many perks of being fourteen.  She's not a kid, but she's definitely not an adult. High school is filled with stupid rules around what you need to do to be popular, and harsh actions that come when you break the rules - like dating a younger guy. Her parents still hold all the power, and they don't want to see that she's growing up. A law class at school captures her interest, but it gets her wondering: can you sue your parents for malpractice?

I realized a little while ago that my life needed more Paula Danziger in it (and frankly, with a cover like this one, how could I resist?). There's a whole bunch of tween-early teen books that I seem to have largely skipped when I was in the actual age bracket, so I'm exploring some of them now. Reading this book was like peering in on some kind of time capsule in terms of women's rights and gender relations, which I found fascinating. Sometimes it's hard to take all of the teen-related angst (like, is it really that big of a deal if someone's who's 13 dates someone who's 14?), but I think that's because it's tinged with my own memories of being that age.

Find it at IndieBound. 

Read it with:
The Cat Ate My Gymsuit by Paula Danziger
P.S. Longer Letter Later by Paula Danziger and Ann M. Martin
It's Not What You Expect by Norma Klein

No comments:

Post a Comment