Saturday, November 26, 2011

Flyaway by Lucy Christopher

Isla and her father share a love of birdwatching, and the time when the swans arrive is a special time of year for them. But an outing together turns scary when her father collapses. He's taken to the hospital where it's discovered that he has a rather serious heart condition. Isla's mom tries to encourage her to go on with her life as normally as possible, but Isla isn't sure that she can. Then she meets a young boy named Harry who has health issues of his own and spots an injured swan on its own just outside the hospital. While struggling with her fears about her father, her loneliness at school, and her relationship with her mom and brother, Isla discovers a strength in herself that she never knew she had.

I picked up this book on the strength of Lucy Christopher's name. The cover wasn't one that would have immediately hooked me, although after reading it I do feel more connected to it. I had read Christopher's Stolen and wasn't really expecting a book like this from her (namely, a book for middle grade readers). That, combined with an early scene involving an accident with a flock of birds, stopped me from getting completely settled with the book. I felt like the rug could be pulled out from under me at any moment, which worked perfectly with the plot, because Isla's world is slipping away from her. It was an unsettling reading experience, but also a very powerful one, and I think the book would be just as strong if I reread it. The blurb at the back of the book says that Christopher is working on a new book, a psychological thriller for teens, and I can't wait to read it.

Find it at IndieBound. 

Read it with:
Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Flyaway: How A Bird Rehabber Sought Adventure and Found Her Wings by Suzie Gilbert
Birdwing by Rafe Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment