Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Witches by Cheryl Christian

Witches are getting their witchy ways ready: brewing up special brews, getting their brooms ready for riding, taking care of their spooky cats. In rhyming text, follow this group of young witches as they prepare for a special night out on the town. There's a fun relationship between the text and the pictures, and I can see kids being eager for a second read (I know I was, to put all the pieces together). There's just one illustration that I wondered about on the second read through, but I think that it would make an excellent discussion point for anyone reading it with a child (an opportunity to say something like "what do you think..."). The illustrations The illustrations also show young 'witches' of many different physical abilities, and that's always welcome in picture books for young children.

Find it at Star Bright Books.

This book will be available on August 15, 2011. I read an advanced reading copy from NetGalley.

Read it with:
Karen's Witch by Ann M. Martin
Only a Witch Can Fly by Alison McGhee
Broom, Zoom! by Caron Lee Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment