Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summer Promise: Book One in the Christy Miller Series by Robin Gunn Jones

It's summertime, and Christy Miller is on what seems like the trip of a lifetime. Instead of spending the summer on her Wisconsin farm, she's soaking up the California sun with her aunt and uncle. Her aunt showers her with new clothes and makeup that show off Christy's maturing body. Christy meets some new friends at the beach, but they're a lot different from her friends back in Wisconsin. Before she left home, she promised her parents that she wouldn't do anything she'd regret...but that was before she met Todd. With all of these temptations, will she stay true to herself and her parents?

I haven't read a lot of overtly religious books, but I know that there is a great demand for these books. I knew nothing about Christy Miller or Robin Jones Gunn before I started reading this eBook, so I'm happy to have had an introduction to such a popular series. Christy is an engaging main character whose struggles are believable (wondering if a boy likes her as a friend or as a girlfriend, shy about wearing clothes that show off her body, trying to figure out what kind of a person she is and what kind of a person she wants to be), even when the story veers slightly over the top. I found myself thinking a lot about the characters and religion and how it's shown in this book, and I always like books that make me think. I think that Summer Promise is available as an eBook title, and the Christy Miller Collection has the first few books (including Summer Promise) in a combined edition.

I received this title through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program, but it's also available at NetGalley.

Also check out Robin Jones Gunn's website.

Find more information at the WaterBrook Multnomah website.

Read it with:
Peculiar Treasures by Robin Jones Gunn
A Whisper and a Wish by Robin Jones Gunn
Departures by Robin Jones Gunn

No comments:

Post a Comment