Friday, August 19, 2011

Building Stories by Isabel Hill

Buildings can tell stories just like books can. They have words, signs, and sometimes even special architectural features like sculptures, statues, and murals. These things are clues to what the buildings are (or were) used for. Follow the rhyming text as it shows of some special buildings, and then keep your eyes peeled for stories the next time you go outside!

The first time I visited New York, I was just struck by the detail in some of the buildings. I took tons of close-up pictures of small sculptures and statues (but none of my pictures ever looked as good as this). Books like this are great for supporting early literacy skills in children. it can appeal to kids who are detail-oriented as well as ones who love buildings and construction. I didn't love this book quite as much as I loved Urban Animals, but since I loved Urban Animals a lot, this one still scores pretty high for me. It's a fun book with cool pictures that promotes connecting kids with the world around them.

I received an advance review copy from NetGalley.

See more at Star Bright Books.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Urban Animals by Isabel Hill
Small Medium Large by Emily Jenkins
Look Book by Tana Hoban
What's Up, Baby? by Kathleen Rizzi
My First Words at Home by Star Bright Books

No comments:

Post a Comment