Sunday, August 21, 2011

Counting in the Garden by Patrick and Emily Hruby

Gardens can be fun places. There are lots of colours, lots of things to do, and lots of things to count! Join this little boy as he explores his garden - one item at a time! I was a big fan of ABC is for Circus, so I wasn't surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I love the big, bright colours and the warm tones. I also liked how once the numbered items were revealed, they were added to a repeating two-page spread. This set-up makes it so easy to talk about the pictures with children: where are the (blank)? What was added? Can we count all of the (blank)? What shape is that? Beyond numbers, the book also uses a cool vocabulary; there are words like turnips, thistles, squirming, and slippery. This is a natural fit for kids who love the outdoors as well as families looking for a new counting book.

I received a review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Ammo Books.

See more of Patrick Hruby's art.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
ABC is for Circus by Patrick Hruby
Charley Harper Colors by Charley Harper
One Grey Mouse by Katherine Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment