Monday, November 8, 2010

Teen Angst? Naaah...by Ned Vizzini

Summer jobs. High school anxiety. The perfect prom. These are all tropes that are familiar to readers of YA fiction. In Teen Angst? Naaah, though, these stories move from fiction to non-fiction as Ned Vizzini shares the story of his life.

In a series of short episodes, Ned Vizzini captures the very essence of what it means to be growing up in the 1990s. Written while a teenager himself, Ned uses humour and an amazing eye for detail and nuance to construct a book that reaches far beyond his own single experience. I have to admit - I might be predisposed to be attracted to this book because I wrote an almost identical one when I was in high school. Sure, it wasn't about a New York high school student named Ned, but it was about me, and framed in little vignettes, and chronologically covered my high school career. Was it as good as this one? If I'm being honest, no...although I do think living in/near New York was an advantage, Ned Vizzini is really very talented and you can see it in this book. I can't wait to get my hands on his other books.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
Talking to Girls About Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield
Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
Cringe edited by Sarah Brown
Be True to Your School by Bob Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment