Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Many years ago, during a time of terrible war, nine young Loric children were sent to earth, each with a caretaker. Pursued by the Mogadorians, a charm was put on the children to protect them - they could only be killed in order. If a Mogadorian tried to kill one out of order, it would reverse the act and instead kill the attacker in the same way. The first three have been killed. This is the story of number four.

I read this book knowing that there's a movie coming out soon, so I think that coloured how I read it. It's easy to see why it will be a good story to adapt - there's romance and intrigue, action and comic touches and teenage rebellion. It seems a bit slick, as maybe today's books have to be - and having the book credited to "Pittacus Lore" works with that. I don't usually read sci-fi so it worked for me, but I don't know if it's enough for hard-core sci-fi fans. Once I got into the story I just whipped through the last 250 or so pages. This is billed as book one in the Lorien Legacies, so there's more of the story to come.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
What Happened on Fox Street by Tricia Springstubb
Boom! by Mark Haddon

No comments:

Post a Comment