Monday, November 22, 2010

Kylie Jean, Blueberry Queen by Marci Peschke

Kylie Jean has had a dream ever since she was a "bitty baby": she wants to be a Beauty Queen. And with the upcoming Blueberry Festival, she sees her chance! She might be young, but Kylie Jean is determined to find a way to be the Blueberry Queen.

I didn't know anything about this book (or this series) when I started reading it, and because I was reading it on my Kobo I didn't even see the cover. When Kylie Jean started talking about how she's beautiful, inside and out, I thought to myself "that sounds like one of the kids on Toddlers & Tiaras." And, on the very next page, Kylie Jean announces that she wants to be a beauty queen, and I thought, "well, that makes sense." Kylie Jean can be a little much, but she's resourceful and determined. Being a beauty queen is her idea, not anyone else's, which is nice to see. She does have a big family who cares about her and wants to help her, but she has to approach them - she's not being pushed into anything, and she has to figure out a way to accomplish her goals. I'm not sure how Kylie Jean will hold up over several books (right now there are at least three others scheduled to be published), but I'm curious to find out.


Find it at Amazon. This title will be released in 2011 by Capstone publishiers. I read an advanced copy at NetGalley.

Read it with:
Billy and Milly, Short and Silly by Eve Feldman
Just Grace by Charise Mericle Harper
Clementine by Sara Pennypacker
Judy Moody by Megan McDonald
Utterly Me, Clarice Bean by Lauren Child

No comments:

Post a Comment