Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bink and Gollie: Two for One by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee and illustrated by Tony Fucile

Best friends Bink and Gollie are back! This time they're exploring adventures at the State Fair. Will Bink win the world's largest donut? Will Gollie find fame, fortune, and prizes in the talent competiton? And what mysteries will the fortune teller share? All will be revealed in Bink and Gollie: Two for One.

I feel like I've barely stopped talking about Bink and Gollie since I first read it. It's a funny, smart book with great characters and beautiful illustrations that's such a great read for beginning readers. I was so excited to see that now there's a second Bink and Gollie book and not only do I love it just as much as the first, but (if I may admit this), I might even love it a tiny bit more. The first story, "Whack a Duck," features Bink's seemingly unending determination and Gollie's dry observations. "You're Special, Aren't You?" has an incredible series of spreads that manage to convey just what stage fright feels like (and is topped with a lovely demonstration of friendship). The third story concerns questions about the future, a natural curiosity for children and adults alike. Whatever you do, don't miss this book, and expect to find it on many Best of 2012 lists at the end of the year.

Learn more about Bink and Gollie at their website

Check out the websites of Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee.

I received an advance review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Candlewick Press

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Bink and Gollie by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Mercy Watson to the Rescue by Kate DiCamillo
Making a Friend by Alison McGhee
Let's Do Nothing! by Tony Fucile

No comments:

Post a Comment