Saturday, June 23, 2012

Big Bear Hug by Nicholas Oldland

There is a bear who lives in the forest. He loves to give hugs to the other animals. He specializes in bear hugs, because, well, he's a bear. But his favourite things to hug are trees. One day he sees a man staring at a tree. He thinks that this must mean that the man loves trees as much as he does! But if that's true, then why does the man have a chainsaw...?

I've only recently found Nicholas Oldland's picture books, and I'm having my usual reaction when I come across something that's so awesome: where have I been all this time? I love the dry writing style and the solid art style; I love the expressions on the animals faces and the small touches on every page.  This book has a lovely pro-nature, pro-hugs agenda, and it should be read by a lot of people who need to hear this message. It's a great book to use with kids as a springboard for discussion questions: why would someone want to cut down trees? is it okay to hug people who might not want to be hugged? how can you help someone who is hurt to feel better? Don't make the same mistake that I did; don't wait to read this book.

Find it at IndieBound. 

Read it with:
Making the Moose Out of Life by Nicholas Oldland
The Busy Beaver by Nicholas Oldland
You Will Be My Friend! by Peter Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment