Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Miles Between by Mary Pearson

It's the perfect plan for an escape. Destiny is desperate to get away for a bit, so when she sees an opportunity to steal away in an available car, she does - and she takes three other students with her. Running on the cash they found in the glove box, the students are determined to find a "fair day" where everyone gets what they deserve. As they travel though different places, Destiny slowly starts to reveal some of the secrets that she's been hiding from everyone, including herself.

When I first started reading, I was a little unsure of how 'on the nose' everything seemed: the main character is Destiny Faraday, there's a character named Mr. Guardian. But as I kept reading, these conventions sort of twisted around and in on themselves. I liked the idea of playing with concepts of luck and fairness. I wasn't 100% shocked by the ending of the novel (and I don't know if I was supposed to be), but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the ride.


Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
The Karma Club by Jessica Brody
They Never Came Back by Caroline B. Cooney
One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke
Finally by Wendy Mass

No comments:

Post a Comment