Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Here Comes the Garbage Barge! by Jonah Winter

Garbage! Hot, stinky, smelly, dirty garbage! Who wants a big pile of garbage? Not the town of Islip, New York. So a few businessmen come up with the idea to ship their garbage to another place - using a garbage barge! But once word gets out, no one will take their garbage. Will the garbage barge ever be able to come home?

I picked up this book because it's already being mentioned alongside the ALA awards of next January, and after reading it, I can see why. I wasn't quite sure what to make of the pictures at first. They're photographs, I think, of model sets made out of tiny miniature objects. The details in the pictures are amazing. The people remind me of scary wooden puppets, but there's personality to them, character to their expressions. I can't imagine the book with any other illustrations; they're something you kind of have to see to belief, so I definitely recommend checking out this book.


Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax? by Jonah Winter
The Curious Garden by Peter Brown
I Spy: A Picture Book of Riddles by Jean Marzollo
I Stink! by Kate McMullan
Trashy Town by Andrea Griffing Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment