Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Illyria by Elizabeth Hand

Maddy and her cousin Rogan have always been close. The youngest ones in their families, born on the same day, they've always had a special bond. It's a bond that scares most of the family, who worry about it turning...physical. Too late. When their high school puts on a production of Twelfth Night, it's a perfect opportunity for both Maddy and Rogan to explore what acting and performing means to them...and what they mean to each other.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the incest angle of the book, and after reading it, I'm still not sure. The incest is very upfront; it's not something that the book builds to at the end. Maddy is very matter-of-fact about it: she loves her cousin, they have this bond, of course they want to be together in that way as well. The book feel claustrophobic, like people are closing in on each other; it's a book that creates a very strong atmosphere in not a lot of pages.


Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand
Jonathan's Story by Julia London
Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews
Castration Celebration by Jake Wizner

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY. I couldn't remember which blog reviewed this and I've been searching to thank for the recommendation. I loved it, though the ending I knew was coming was still painful. Granted it's up my alley since I like the "forbidden love" stuff. It took a surprisingly long time for me to read...though short, there was something dense about it.

    ReplyDelete