Monday, February 1, 2010

An Education by Nick Hornby

I picked this up for three reasons:
1. I love Nick Hornby, and strive to read anything that he publishes
2. I heard that the movie was really good, but I missed seeing it when it was playing last year
3. I was at the airport, and I wanted something to read.

So that was the framework for me reading this book.

Set in England in the 1960s, Jenny is a girl who is desperately ready to be a woman. She loves French culture and is doing well in school; she's had a few dates, but they're all just...boys. Then she meets David, who excites all of her fantasies. Before she fully realizes it, she is caught up in David's fancy lifestyle...and everything that comes with it.

I don't usually read plays, so it took a few pages for me to get used to that script format. I enjoyed reading Nick Hornby's introduction to the play, where he talked about the process of writing a script based on a magazine article (as this script was). Would I have picked this up if NICK HORNBY hadn't have been prominent on the cover and the spine? Probably not, but I'm glad I did.


Find it on Amazon.

Read it with:
Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar
Before I Die by Jenny Downham
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
Atonement by Ian MacEwan
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment