Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bunnicula by Deborah and James Howe

Harold (a dog) and Chester (a cat) live with the Monroe family. They have a good life there, and everything is going smoothly. Then one day, while out to see the movie Dracula, the family comes across a rabbit. They bring him home, name him Bunnicula (he has a bit of black fur that looks like a cape), and it's not long before strange things start happening. Bunnicula sleeps all day and is awake at night. He can get in and out of his own cage. The vegetables are turning white...and they have marks in them that look a bit like fangs...


I wasn't sure whether or not I had read this when I was younger. I had a vague memory of owning a paperback copy, and of white vegetables. I picked it up again to read it, to see if I remembered anything. The white vegetables were there, but there was so much that I didn't remember: the humour, the playful language, Chester's obsession, and the family's reaction. I'm surprised that it hasn't been re-released with a Twilight-ish tie-in cover: "Imagine if Edward Cullen had a pet bunny - who was also a vampire!" Are librarians recommending this to the youngest readers clamouring for Twilight? I don't know; I do know that this is a book that is a delight to read.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Marley: A Dog Like No Other by Josh Grogan
The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
Howliday Inn by James Howe

No comments:

Post a Comment