Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Don't Believe It, Archie! by Andrew Norriss

Strange things always tend to Archie. It's like he has some kind of bad luck curse. And not just things like tripping or getting lost - no, he tends to get mixed up with runaway pianos and kidnapping plots and super-gluing himself to a library. His new friend Cyd isn't quite sure what to make of him; she's never met anyone like him before! What kind of adventures will they have this week?

Reading this book is like an adventure in itself. There's always a question of "okay, how can he top that?!" as I was reading, because I couldn't even imagine the kinds of fixes that Archie would get into next. I loved resolution and how everything comes full circle in the final chapter. I loved reading Amelia Bedelia when I was young, and even though this book is completely different, it tends to have the same kind of hilarious ridiculousness that makes Amelia Bedelia so great. I was afraid that the chapter involving a hurt dog might teeter on being a little dark, but it stayed on the funny side of the fence. I can see this being a hit with boys and reluctant readers.

I read an advance review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Random House and David Fickling Books.

Also check out Andrew Norriss' website.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
Aquila by Andrew Norriss
Big Nate in a Class By Himself by Lincoln Peirce

No comments:

Post a Comment