Monday, December 5, 2011

Winter Town by Stephen Emond

For Evan, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a visit from Lucy. They used to be really close when she lived near him, but since she moved away they only get to see each other once a year. This year, though, things are a bit strange. Lucy has a new look and a new attitude, and Evan isn't quite sure what to make of it. He's dealing with a lot of pressure from his father over his choice of university and doesn't quite feel ready to make decisions that could shape the rest of his life. Can Evan and Lucy find any common ground - or has their friendship reached its end?

I knew from the moment I laid eyes on this cover that this was a book I wanted to read. Isn't it lovely? The colour, the snow, the textured paper...I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but having a great one doesn't hurt. Luckily for me, I loved the inside just as much as the outside. Evan and Lucy each had strong voices, which was crucial because they each tell half of the book. When I reached the end of Evan's part, I really wanted more from him, but I was quickly drawn into Lucy's point of view. I loved the comics and how they fitted into the main story. The book as a whole seemed to me like a book that really trusted its reader; it didn't have to spell everything out right away and information could be pieced out over time. This was my first time reading a book by Stephen Emond and I am eagerly anticipating the chance to read another one of his books.

Check out Stephen Emond's website.

I received an advance review copy from Little, Brown.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
I Know It's Over by C.K. Kelly Martin
Happyface by Stephen Emond
Steverino: The Complete Collection by Stephen Emond

No comments:

Post a Comment