Friday, July 22, 2011

Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt

When Hannah's boyfriend dumps her on the last day of school, she's pretty sure that that means the summer is going to suck. Her suspicions are confirmed when she Ryan, her ex, hooks up with another girl at a party that night. Hannah is devastated and turns to her best friend, Ava, for help. But only a few days later, Ava breaks the news that she's leaving to work at a camp for the summer. Before she leaves, she asks her boyfriend, Noah, to look out for Hannah. Hannah gets a job at the diner where Noah works, and before long the two of them are getting close. Really close. Too close?

Once I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. The chapters alternate between Hannah starting her senior year of high school and recounting what happened the past summer. At first it was a bit confusing; with so many characters talking about 'the summer,' I wondered if maybe this was a second book in a series and I had missed the first one (this is happening to me a lot since I started getting books through Galley Grab and NetGalley). But once I got used to the format, it just kind of clicked for me. I liked the conversations that Hannah and Noah had about Ava, pointing out that we often know people from only one perspective, and other people see them in other ways. Hannah definitely makes mistakes and doesn't always do the right thing, but I was engaged by her as a character, and wanted to see how everything was resolved. I think this title will have appeal for teen readers.

See more at Lauren Barnholdt's website.

I received an advance review copy through Simon and Schuster's Galley Grab.

Find it at Amazon.

Read it with:
Two Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti
Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

No comments:

Post a Comment