Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts

Katie doesn't know what it's like to fit in. People look at her funny; she makes them feel uneasy. She doesn't mean to, but every now and then she forgets to use her hands to turn pages in books or to set the table. She can move objects with her mind. Plus, people are unnerved by her silver eyes. She used to live with her grandmother, but her grandmother died recently, and now she lives with her mother in an apartment complex. Some neighbours are suspicious of her, but for the most part, things are going pretty well. Then two things happen that have the power to change everything: a mysterious man shows up asking lots of questions about Katie, and she discovers that there might be other kids out there just like her...

As I was reading this book, I kept thinking "they just don't write books like this anymore." Are there anything out there right now like the Apple Paperbacks? I can't really put my finger on what it is about the book. Katie is a smart girl and a good character. She's not always 100% likeable but I found her to be very sympathetic. You can see that she's dealing with what she feels is her mother's abandonment and the fear that her mom will turn on her just like other people have. She's worried about being framed for things that she didn't do while being scared about what she has the potential to do. Underneath that is the not-so-fiction science fiction of drugs that affected children before they were born - this book was published only a generation after Thalidomide was taken off the market. As much as I loved the awesomely retro cover on the library book that I read, I'm glad that it's been reissued with an updated cover (seen above).

I'm pretty sure I found out about this book at A Fuse #8 Production, but I'm not sure when. Here's one of the more recent posts that mention the book.

See Jezebel's take on the book, too.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Don't Hurt Laurie! by Willo Davis Roberts
A Gift of Magic by Lois Duncan
The Doll in the Garden by Mary Downing Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment