Sunday, July 24, 2011

Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy by Bil Wright

Carlos has a dream: to be Carrlos Duarte, makeup artist to the stars. He's wanted to be a makeup artist for as long as he can remember. His best friend Angie has a great idea: why not apply to work at one of the makeup counters at Macy's. Carlos is thrilled and nervous; he's sure that he's ready for this big break, but are other people ready for him?

I was interested in this book first because of the title. I knew I wasn't going to get anything that I'd read before. Carlos was an incredibly engaging narrator, but not always a reliable narrator. I liked that; it added to his personality and gave me more clues as to his point of view. The story felt like a little dip into one period of Carlos' life. Some books feel like this is the character's only story worth telling. With Carlos, though, I could tell that he'd been through a lot in the past and that while he was on his way to maybe being Carrlos, famous makeup artist, he would be going through a lot in the future. It (minor spoiler alert) ends in a good place for Carlos, but I definitely don't have a sense of "and he lived happily ever after." (end minor spoiler alert) If anything, I think this book showed how good and bad things can happen at the same time. I think that Carlos is a character that people will really respond to: he knows who he is and acts and dresses how he wants. He's not blind to how society sees him, but he tries not to let it affect who and how he is.


I received a review copy through the Simon & Schuster Galley Grab program.

See more at Bil Wright's website.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
When the Black Girl Sings by Bil Wright
Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going
Putting Makeup on Dead People by Jen Violi
Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual by Bobbi Brown
Fabulous by Simone Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment