Thursday, April 28, 2011

DC Super-Pets: Midway Monkey Madness by Sarah Hines Stephens and Art Balthazar

Beppo, Superman's pet monkey and fellow crime-fighter, is looking forward to enjoying a fun day at the carnival. But when a loud cry interrupts his Ferris Wheel ride, he knows trouble is in the air. His enemy Grodd is ripping apart animal cages - and all the animals are escaping! It's up to Beppo to find a way to stop Grodd, and he's going to need the help of his super-friends to do it!

I wasn't sure if I was the right audience for this book; I'm not to familiar with superheros, and when it started I was thinking less about the plot and more about "Did Superman really have a monkey?" (Apparently, he did.) But I like bright colours and early chapter books for new readers, so I went in with an open mind - and I liked it! The book helpfully explains who Beppo is and what his superpowers are; it also introduces his super-friends and allies. At three chapters long (the digital version I read was a total of 58 pages, including covers), it's not a long story but it is packed with action. That combination of interesting battles, fun words that show up Batman-style (Woooosh! Rooooaaarr! Smaaash!), and incredibly colourful pictures will prove irresistable to beginning readers who love superheros - and their pets.

I read an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley.

Find it at IndieBound.

Watch this trailer from Captsone Publishing:


Check out this interview with Art Balthazar:



Read it with:
Superman and the Mayhem of Metallo by Sarah Hines Stephens
Ninjatown Volume 1: The Adventures of Wee Ninja! by Art Balthazar and Franco Aureliani
DC Super-Pets: The Fastest Pet on Earth by J.E. Bright and Art Balthazar

No comments:

Post a Comment