Thursday, April 21, 2011

Brain Camp by Susan Kim, Laurence Klavan and Faith Erin Hicks

Camp Fielding: a place where teens can live up to their potential. That's the message that parents get, but when the teens arrive, it doesn't take Lucas and Jenna long to realize that something sinister is going on. Will they be able to put aside their differences, work together, and save the campers?


I read this book around the same time as I read The Drained Brains Caper by Trina Robbins, and I thought they had a similar story (although brainwashing kids/teens is hardly unique to the two). In my mind, they had an Armageddon/Deep Impact relationship going on, and Brain Camp was my Armageddon (i.e., the one I liked better). It benefited from being a stand alone story and not a set-up for a series. Looking at it on its own, I really liked the style, art, and look of this book. It was a fun story (I read a review that compared it to a Goosebumps novel, and I think that's a really great description) and I'll definitely keep an eye out for what the authors and illustrators do in the future.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
The Drained Brains Caper by Trina Robbins
Candor by Pam Bachorz
The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
City of Spies by Susan Kim, Laurence Klavan, and Pascal Dizin

No comments:

Post a Comment