Tuesday, May 4, 2010

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

Claudia has decided to run away. Being a practical child, she has decided to run away not to a forest or a park, but instead to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. She's taken her brother with her, which was a great choice, because he has some money saved up. When they reach the museum, they are excited to be at such a beautiful place, but it isn't long before they find themselves in the middle of a mystery. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, they might just be in over their heads. And how does Mrs. Frankweiler fit in to everything?

I really knew nothing about this book before it showed up on the Fuse 8 Production Poll list. I enjoyed Claudia and Jamie's practicality (especially in the unpractical situation of running away from home at the age of 11). I liked their belief that they could and would solve the mystery, which was something I think I would have believed at the age of 11 as well. I also love that E. L. Konigsburg (a recent discover for me - where have I been?!) won both the Newbery Medal (for this book) and the Newbery Honor (for Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth) in the same year - and for her first two books! That's just incredible.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Savvy by Ingrid Law
The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
You Can't Take a Balloon Into the Metropolitan Museum by Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman and Robin Glasser
The Master's Apprentice by Rick Jacobson

No comments:

Post a Comment