Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Next Competitor by K.P. Kincaid


Alex Grady has been training his whole life for the Olympics. He knows he can be - no, he will be an Olympic champion. Now he’s an 18 year-old American figure skater who has followed his coach to Toronto to train. That’s where he meets Matt, a Canadian pairs skater. Alex knows that he needs to be focused on this Olympic season…so then why is he spending so much time thinking about Matt?

I still have a hard time believing that this book exists, because I never expected so many things that I love to come together in one book. Figure skating? Positive gay characters (where their sexuality is not an ‘issue’ that the story focuses on)? Young adult genre? Canadian author? Set in Toronto? My head almost exploded with excitement when I started reading this, but I’m glad it didn’t, because then I wouldn’t have finished it. It’s an incredibly timely book that is especially interesting when looked at against the 2010 American Men’s Olympic team, as well as the Olympic medal results. I didn’t always like Alex as a person, but I was always intrigued by him as a character, and not since The Screwed-Up Life of Charlie the Second have I wanted a relationship to work out as much as I wanted Alex and Matt to work out. This is my favourite book of 2010.

Find it at IndieBound.

Check it out at Prizm.

Visit K.P. Kincaid's site.

Read it with:
The Screwed-Up Life of Charlie the Second by Drew Ferguson
Summer's End by Kathleen Gilles Seidel
A Skater's Life by Brian Orser
Ice Cream by Toller Cranston

No comments:

Post a Comment