Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tiny & Hercules by Amy Schwartz

Not many people would expect an elephant and a mouse to be friends; then again, not many people know Tiny and Hercules! Tiny (an elephant) and Hercules (a mouse) are best friends, and they love doing things together. From ice skating to knitting to selling lemonade, every day is an adventure for Tiny & Hercules!

I love books about friends. I didn't grow up with Frog and Toad, and I only discovered - really discovered - George and Martha a few years ago, but I really respond to books about two friends who really love and care about each other. Tiny and Hercules aren't perfect; they don't do everything right. But underneath everything is a very true friendship. The illustrations are in a style that I like to think of as 'deceptively simple'; they allow the character of the animals to shine through without overwhelming the text. The book is divided into five short stories or chapters, very much in the style of George and Martha; it's great for kids who can read on their own as well as kids who like being read to. I discovered this book while working on a booklist about elephants, and I'm glad that I came across it. It's a few years old now, but definitely check this one out if you haven't read it.

Find it at IndieBound. 

Read it with:
Willie & Uncle Bill by Amy Schwartz
Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel
George and Martha by James Marshall
Bink and Gollie by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee

No comments:

Post a Comment