Thursday, July 26, 2012

Are You My Baby? by Kathleen Rizzi

Stories about animal babies and parents make for great books for children. In Are You My Baby?, big photographs of animals are paired with pages to flip and repeating questions to ask. This is the first time I think I've come across adult animals asking little ones if they are their babies; usually, it seems like the little baby animal is the one searching for a parent. There's something slightly unsettling about this approach, as if the parent doesn't know who their child is. I think, though, that you could avoid this by looking at it in a more playful way - like the parent is playing a trick on the baby animal by pretending to be confused. I think ultimately, however, this is an adult over-thinking it and that children will just respond to the animals. The flap element didn't work particularly well in the ebook format that I was reading; there was a pause and reveal but it didn't have the same punch when I clicked a button verses actually uncovering a flap. (Maybe if it was on a touch tablet and the page turned with touching it would seem better). I know, though, that it would be a lot of fun in the print version. Definitely check out this book for a fun animal-based story with lots of animal sounds, common words, and photographs of loving scenes of animal parents and children.

I received a review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Star Bright Books.

Find it at IndieBound. 

Read it with:
Cradle Me! by Debby Slier
Hip, Hop by Catherine Hnatov
What's Up, Baby? by Kathleen Rizzi
Who Lives Here? by Kathleen Rizzi
My Face Book by Star Bright Books

No comments:

Post a Comment