Sunday, July 25, 2010

Little Blog on the Prairie by Cathleen Davitt Bell

Genevieve is a modern twenty-first century tween. She has never milked a cow, churned butter, weeded a cornfield, or washed clothes by hand on a washboard. That all changes when her mom signs them up for a summer at an authentic 1890s farm, where they have no electricity, no modern conveniences, and no idea what they're doing. Genvieve figures out how to send out messages to her friends back home, updating them on her farming misadventures - and everyone is in for a surprise when the messages turn out to be a worldwide sensation.

When I started this book, it made me really glad that I was an adult; that way, no one could force me to spend a summer recreating the 1890s on a farm. That stayed with me through most of the book, but once I could get past that, I started to get interested in the farm lifestyle and politics. There's a sweet tween romance running through the book, too, along with some interesting family dynamics.


Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
The Big Swim by Cary Fagan
Every Little Thing in the World by Nina de Gramont
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever by Marla Frazee
Wish You Were Dead by Todd Strasser

No comments:

Post a Comment