Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Boxcar Children #120: The Vampire Mystery created by Gertrude Chandler Warner

Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny - best known as the Boxcar children - have recently befriended a local author. Mr. Hudson is best known for a famous vampire story. When he goes out of town, the children look after his house. But then creepy things start happening - things right out of his book. It couldn't possibly be a real vampire at work...could it?

While I never really got into The Boxcar Children books as a child, I did read a few of them. As children are prone to do, I pictured characters older than me as being really old, and I think that that was exaggerated with this series because they lived on their own in that boxcar. So it was a bit trippy to see kids on this cover. When did that happen? Anyway. It's a typical children's book mystery that will appear to series fans, and I can see there being a crossover audience for fans of supernatural books. Will they be disappointed in the conclusion? Perhaps, but it really couldn't have ended any other way.

I received a review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Albert Whitman & Company.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Kristy and the Vampires by Ann M. Martin
Vampire School: Casketball Capers by Peter Bently and Chris Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment