Friday, January 22, 2010

Moonshot: : The Flight of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca

The history, science, and spectacle of the Apollo 11 moon mission is given beautiful tribute in this non-fiction picture book by Brian Floca. I call it a picture book, because the illustrations are what people are primarily talking about. The text fits the pictures in terms of highlighting the grandeur of the missions. It seems like it would be a perfect fit in many Independence Day book displays as well as in many elementary school classrooms.

My favourite picture spread in this book is when the astronauts are preparing for lift-off. After they have been strapped in, Michael Collins is shown giving the audience a look out of the corner of the eye. This small detail delighted me; it looks like he's saying "[Oh], yeah," (insert your favourite word there - I have a hard time picturing astronauts using strong language, even though I'm sure they would have). "You ain't seen nothing yet."

Find this book at Amazon.


Read it with:
Redwoods by Jason Chin
The Day-Glo Brothers by Chris Barton
Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream by Tanya Lee Stone

I got this book from: my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment