Thursday, May 17, 2012

Do Super Heroes Have Teddy Bears? by Carmela LaVigna Coyle with illustrations by Mike Gordon

Do super heroes have teddy bears? Well, that's really up to each individual super hero. Some lie to have a cuddly friend along for the ride. Some also use a blanket as a cape, make spaceships out of boxes, and try to avoid eating carrots and peas. But no matter how old - or how young - a super hero is, it's important to be kind and caring, honest, and helpful.

There's such a lovely thread running through this book about how it doesn't take a super hero to be a hero who acts in a super way. There are many different ways that kids can make a difference, and there many different ways that imagination can be used in positive ways. I loved the page where the two children are sitting in a tree with a toy shark staring up at them, mouth open. It's such a lovely image and one that's so easily identifiable from my own childhood (I never sat in a tree and I never had a toy shark...but the premise is the same). This is my first time reading a book by Carmela LaVigna Coyle or seeing Mike Gordon's illustration, but I know it won't be the last time.

Check out Carmela LaVigna Coyle's website and also Mike Gordon's website.

I received an advance review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Rowman & Littlefield.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? by Carmela LaVigna Coyle
Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs? by Carmela LaVigna Coyle
My Best Friend by Diane Namm

No comments:

Post a Comment