Thursday, September 16, 2010

Just Grace and the Terrible Tutu by Charise Mericle Harper

Grace has just learned that her best friend Mimi has a big secret: soon Mimi is going to have a little sister! Grace and Mimi are both thrilled at the idea of there being a new little girl to play with. They think it's perfect timing when a little girl named Lily moves into the neighbourhood and they get jobs as mother's helpers. But when Lily likes Grace - and only Grace - Mimi starts to worry about her little sister not liking her, either. Mimi starts acting weird and not like herself. How can Grace bring Lily and Mimi together, calm Mimi's fears, and put everything back to normal?

I admit it; I thought this was going to be a book about ballet. It's not. The "Terrible Tutu" is Grace's nickname for Lily, who is always wearing a different-coloured tutu. I hadn't read any of the previous "Just Grace" books, and while I might have had a deeper reading experience if I had, I still enjoyed this book very much. I found that Grace is that perfect mixture of free-spirited creative child without being too annoying or cloying. I liked the little sketches and illustrations that were interspersed throughout the text; they reminded me somewhat of The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, where the book couldn't stand on the pictures alone but together with the text they made a nice combination.

Just Grace and the Terrible Tutu will be published in January, 2011. I read a review eBook from NetGalley.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Just Grace by Charise Mericle Harper
Ramona's World by Beverly Cleary
Clementine by Sara Pennypacker
Judy Moody by Megan McDonald
Utterly Me, Clarice Bean by Lauren Child

No comments:

Post a Comment