Monday, April 23, 2012

The World in Your Lunchbox by Claire Eamer illustrated by Sa Boothroyd

There's an incredible history to the things that we eat every day. Fruits, vegetables, meats, grains, dairy products, spices, condiments...so much of what makes up our daily diets is stuff that our ancestors might eaten in some form or another. Wars have been fought over food; it shaped the way that the earth was explored. Changes in science and technology have meant that food can stay fresher longer and we have access to many different kinds of foods. Take a moment to think about all of the food that you eat in a week - how much do you really know about it?

I know it's such a cliched reaction, but in every chapter I was saying to myself "I didn't know that!" There's something really neat about discovering the history of things that are so common, and learning more about the science of taste helped me to understand why I like the foods that I like. Set as a child's class project, there's sections on science, history, and even some groaner-worthy food puns. The book also have a positive message around eating healthy and making good food choices. A great pick for classrooms and libraries looking to have some high-interest books in their non-fiction collections.

Check out the websites of Claire Eamer and Sa Boothroyd.

I received a review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Annick Press.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with
Lizards in the Sky by Claire Eamer
50 Underwear Questions by Tanya Lloyd Kyi
Who Wants Pizza? by Jan Thornhill

No comments:

Post a Comment