Sunday, April 15, 2012

Valentino Finds a Home by Andy Whiteside and illustrated by Catherine Hnatov

Valentino is a Guinea Pig looking for a home. He  is he often mistaken for a rat...or a meal! And now he's had enough. So he maneuvers his way to America on a quest to find someone who will appreciate him. Will he ever find a home?

There's a delightful streak of the absurd running through this book. The text is rhyming and playful; the illustrations are bright and clear with a cheeky sense of humour. I was a bit hesitant when I read the jacket copy saying that in Bolivia he was afraid of being eaten but early on there's a spread of Valentino getting in shape. When I saw those pictures I was hooked on this book. This is a great read for a child who likes books that are a bit different and who have an offbeat sense of humour, as well as those who love to read about animal stories.

I received an advance review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Star Bright Books.

Read it with:
Hip, Hop by Catherine Hnatov
Super Guinea Pig to the Rescue by Udo Weigelt
I Completely Know About Guinea Pigs by Lauren Child

No comments:

Post a Comment