Friday, August 17, 2012

Cecil the Pet Glacier by Matthea Harvey and Giselle Potter

Ruby's life isn't exactly normal. Her mother is a tiara designer and her father spends all his time trimming topiary. She just wants to fit in...and she also wants a dog. But while on vacation (in Norway, of all places), something else finds Ruby: a glacier named Cecil. A pet glacier is the last thing that Ruby wants, but maybe it's just what Ruby needs.

I loved the gentle absurdity of a pet glacier; that's what originally drew me to this title. I also liked the cover's visual of Ruby with her three identical dolls (the Three Jennifers).  The book is extremely visually interesting (I'm just smitten with Giselle Potter's style), but it also has a great story with neat turns of phrase. It's an unusual spin on the 'child wants a pet' story, which is always a favourite for young kids, but even at its most absurd there is a firm layer of heart underneath. Definitely look to add this one to a library's picture book collection.

Check out Matthea Harvey's website and Giselle Potter's website.

I received a review copy from Edelweiss courtesy of Schwartz & Wade/Random House.

Find it at IndieBound. 

Read it with:
Ice by Arthur Geisert
Not Like I'm Jealous or Anything edited by Marissa Walsh
The Year I Didn't Go to School by Giselle Potter
The Boy Who Loved Water by Roni Schotter

1 comment: