Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I feel like I'm the last person on Earth to read this book, which came in #2 on A Fuse #8 Production's countdown of the Top 100 Children's Novels. (Many of the 'older' books that I've been reading lately have come from this list, because I like reading from lists, and because I wanted to have a better background in children's novels. I actually think I'm going to do a tag for them.) I definitely didn't read it when I was younger; I wasn't a huge reader of science fiction, and I also didn't read a lot of middle grade fiction when I was actually an elementary school student (I seemed to go from Baby-Sitters Club to...something?...to adult novels.)

But anyway, the book really started being on my radar last year when I read When You Reach Me - I enjoyed it, but I think I would have had a much deeper reaction if I had known about A Wrinkle in Time. Now I've read it, and I'm looking forward to going back and re-reading When You Reach Me. I enjoyed the book, although I just let a lot of the science details just wash over me. I liked Meg as a protagonist and was really moved by the ending. I haven't looked at it too deeply from a religious point of view (is that why it's been such a banned and challenged book?). I haven't been inspired - yet - to pick up any of the other books, but I'm glad that the Fuse 8 Poll was the kick I needed to actually read this book.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
Candor by Pam Bachorz

No comments:

Post a Comment