Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

The subtitle of this book pretty much sums it up: a summer tale of four sisters, two rabbits, and a very interesting boy. When the Penderwicks go on vacation, they have all kinds of adventures. There are the rabbits that are kept by the groundskeeper of the estate where they rent a cottage, and there's the very interesting son of the estate owner, Jeffrey Tifton, and Mrs. Tifton's very evil plans to send him to military school. It doesn't take long for the Penderwick sisters to run afoul of this woman and her fiance, but will they be able to keep their new friend safe from his mother's plans?

I hadn't picked this book up because I thought it might be science fiction (it's not); I think I had it confused with the Spiderwick Chronicles. So, with that out of the way, I thought that it was a very enjoyable read. I like the dynamics of large families, and even the absent-minded (and absent-bodied) father came across well. I liked the different voices and characters of each of the sisters. I'm intrigued enough to pick up the sequel, The Penderwicks on Gardam Street.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor
A Perfect Gentle Knight by Kit Pearson
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
The Year I Turned Sixteen by Diane Schwemm

No comments:

Post a Comment